There is more to the drive for the euro than just
elites squashing labor in Europe, although that is
certainly a good part of it.  Another is the rivalry with
the US dollar and by extension US capitalists.  I was
struck by this very forcibly while in France when I would
raise questions about details of the plan.  A point would
be reached where suddenly I would get told that "all you
Americans are against the euro because you are afraid of
what it will mean for the dollar" or something along those
lines.  This is all the more hilarious given that the US
economists most vocal in opposition to the euro have been
Milton Friedman and Martin Feldstein.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley