This kid, little Johnny, was assigned to do a high-school paper on
"What is a market economy?". At dinner, he asks his Father to help
him. The father, somnewhat flustered, remembering the D he got when he
took economics, said: "Well a market economy is a system in which
people play different economic roles while producing and distributing
things through markets." Little Johnny says "Huh?"

So the father, remembering that "economics" supposedly started out as
the "science" of household management, says to Johnny: "Think of it
in terms of our household. I am the father and make the basic
strategic decisions so I represent "government". Your mother makes the
basic operational decisions of the household, so she represents
"management". Our maid, Esmerelda does the basic chores like washing
dishes and laundry etc, so she represents "Labor". Your baby brother
represents "the future" and you are asking basic questions, so you
represent the "public".

Later, Johnny's baby brother filled his diapers and Johnny went to
ask his mother to change the kid. He knocked over and over on his
mother's bedroom door and finally after 15 minutes the mother half
wakes up and tells him to go away. Johnny goes to look for his father
and finds him in the maid's room in flagrante delicto. Finally,
little Johnny just goes away.

The next morning at breakfast, the father asks "did you finish your
paper last night?" Johnny says "Yeah" and the father says "let me read
it."

The paper read "What is a Market Economy?" by Johnny Smith

"A market economy is a system in which the public asks basic
questions, management is either asleep or tells the public to get
lost, the Government is always screwing the workers while the future
is left buried in deep shit."

                                 Jim Craven

*                             "Who controls the past,               *
*  James Craven              controls the future.                   *
*  Dept of Economics           Who controls the present,            *
*  Clark College             controls the past." (George Orwell)    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd.                                        *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663  (360) 992-2283  FAX:  (360)992-2863        *
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *