> From:          Thomas Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >In general I see a tendency to let capitalism's
> >moral crimes and despoilation of the environment
> >obscure the advances it brought in terms of
> >productive capacity.  The latter doesn't justify
> >the former, but the former does not negate the
> >latter either.
> >
> >MBS

TK:

> OK, yes.  But why the fetishization of "productive capacity".  Here, the

Well, obviously the distribution of economic well-being--the ends
you refer to--is not capitalism's long suit.  It's simply a matter of
noting the limits but also the extent of accomplishment.

> means seem much more important than the ends.  Means: capactity; ends:
> humans, qulaity of life, etc. (sorry for the lapse into moral philosophy).

Sure.

> But, one must not assume (you weren't, I suppose) that:
>
> - in all places in the colonies/neocolonies such "advances" were actually
> occuring
> - or if they were occuring they were doing ANYTHING positive for anyone
> ouside of the enclaves, or even within the enclave in certain instances
> - even as they did occur, they weren't bringing with them horrendous
> externatilities for "the rest", that is those not "advanced" or benefitted;
> in the hinterlands of the enclaves.  Example: when the hinterlands
> (containing ayllus, etc.) for colonial mines were reorganized to supply the
> mines, the people often saw a fall in food security.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Without claiming any expertise, I would venture the suggestion
that the diversity of outcomes in all of the terms you raise cut
against a theory that capitalism uniformly loots colonial areas
to make possible its survival, as per baby Marxism/Leninism.

> Negate the latter (advances) no; but what the latter were good for in the
> short or long run is open to question.

Nor with this, though I lean to the skeptical on the
'sustainability' critique.

Incidentally, I enjoyed your travelogue a great deal.

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.