By coincidence, I'm in the process of re-reading MD, which I didn't
appreciate in high school. In addition to Louis P's valid points, it's
pretty obvious that Ishmael and Queequeg have a homosexual relationship
(though it's literature, so we can't really be sure, as Louis notes). And
this is in a book that is at the center of the "American canon," that
shibboleth of the stuffy academic right. Of course, the Puritanical
Christian right can't read anything but the Bible, so they haven't noticed
this contradiction in the right-wing coalition.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine  [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/1997F/ECON/jdevine.html
"Dear, you increase the dopamine in my accumbens." -- words of love for the
1990s.