Doug,
     I think that you are overreacting here to phraseology.
Yes, I realize that "interacting particles" can sound
pretty awful, miniscule even.  But as noted these agents
react to each other and learn from and about each other.
There is nothing in the approach that says the agents have
to be identical or that they may not be in conflict.
Indeed, in most of these models what is interesting is that
the agents are different and evolve differently.  One can
even set it up to have them conflict in an organized
fashion.  This is not the agenda of the SFI itself, but
even within its agenda there is often an effective conflict
between different agents.  This goes on in their stock
market model, not a class conflict model, but one in which
heterogeneous agents are behaving differently from each
other and in response to each other and the market.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]