James Devine wrote:

>o impose state control on
>our bedrooms and bodies; no libertarians they.) Abortion is almost the only
>issue where Clinton shows any kind of backbone -- and that may be an
>opportunist effort to maintain his core constitutency.

I thought it was very interesting that when he had a giant cloud hanging
over his head, Clinton became a (weak) social democrat for his State of the
Union, proposing new spending on health and education. No doubt this move
was fully market tested before it was taken, but it suggests that the
right-wing agenda of program and tax cuts is exhausted except to its true
religionists (maybe 20% of the U.S. electorate).

Doug