2. Crossing

At the day to day level, I am used to life in Bolivia, and true to form we
had to cajole a uniformed fellow out of his post-lunch lethargy to unlock
the gate so we could cross into Chile.  Five km down the road, the Chilean
customs and migration people were waiting, precise and overbearing.  Running
through my head were the stories related to me by Chilean political refugees
of the 70's and 80's, who told of evading border guards at such outposts.
Later, a women friend in Santiago told us how 11 September 1973 she found
herself in Arica with nowhere to run: to the north, Peru, and the
authorities were sending people back; to the west only sea; and to the east
and south the desert.  And what a desert!  Not even the odd sugauro cactus
or paloverde to hide under.  Without fine knowledge of the terrain, you can
easily die of thirst.

The border guards took away our apples (imports to Bolivia, from Chile),
mentioning fruit flies, and gave us a paper in return, replete with date,
location, materials seized.  I held on to the paper, just in case.

The descent by land into Arica is amazing.  One drops from just over 14,000
feet to sea level in about 200km, much of it hair-raising switchbacks.  In
places the terrain is ghostly, moonlike.  In the northern extremities of the
Atacama desert, 0cm rainfall in a year is not uncommon.

Just before arriving in Arica, you cut through the lush, green Azapa valley,
site of more than seven Tihuanaku (Bolivian highland culture of the
pre-Incan period) "outlier settlements".  How the valley remains green is a
mystery to me still.  How they farm it is not: mostly (50%, we were told)
absentee landowners, working it "a medias" -- the "half" system.  That is,
absentee land owners allow you to work the land in exchange for half of the
harvest.  Harvest time sees the arrival of many Aymaras from Bolivia, who
often speak only broken Spanish.  Those lovely peaches you see at the
supermarket may have come from Azapa.

Overlooking Arica, a port town of some 100,000, is the Moro, site of a
decisive battle in the War of the Pacific (1879-83), wherein Chile beat Peru
and Bolivia, and Bolivia lost access to the sea.  In the mid-1980's the
fortifications overlooking the sea were turned into a military museum,
celebrating the victory over Peru and Bolivia specifically, and Chilean
military prowess generally.  A plaque left from the inauguration bore the
name of Excelentísimo General, Commandante en Jefe de las Fuerzas Armadas de
Chile y Presidente de la República [etc. ad nauseum] ... Augosto Pinochet.
The slogan "por la razón o la fuerza" was emblazoned over the entrance.  "By
reason or force" -- it's also engraved in the side of each 100 peso coin,
the most common in circulation.  Naively, I asked a friend who had spent
some time in Pinochet's prisons, "Does that really mean...?".  He was
patient, answering simply "uh-huh".  (Los Prisioneros, a Chilean rock band,
just came out with a new album: "Ni por la razón, ni por la fuerza" --
"Neither by reason nor by force".)

Arriving Arica this time I had an uneasy feeling -- something was different,
but I couldn't put my finger on it.  Then it struck me: there are poor white
people here!  In Bolivia you may see darker people with money, but almost
never a light colored person in abject poverty.  Up the hillsides from the
sea, clapboard or plywood houses, brightly painted, clung in the sweltering
heat to sandy soil.  One good rain would have warped them completely out of
shape.  The heat was intense; if not for the strong afternoon breezes coming
in off the sea, the barrios of Arica would be uninhabitable.  And in and out
moved white(er) folks.

Arica is a poor town; jobs are hard to come by.  There is an explosion of
tourism at year end, mostly wealthy Bolivians in fancy cars, and the rest of
the year just limps along, we're told.  If you don't have a coveted job on
the docks, you might get part time in the fish meal plant; run a taxi with a
relative; some pick up work in the Azapa valley; etc.

Was this the clean poverty Pinochet boasted of?  On balance, one doesn't see
the kind of poverty in Chile that assaults you in Bolivia.  But cleaner?
Whiter, certainly.  Perhaps that's what Pinochet meant after all.

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia
Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]