Further to the (very interesting) discussion between Louis and Brian, the
national CBC news had a piece last night showing Cuban women teachers and
physicians being forced to engage in prostitution in order to supplement
their meagre salaries. As they saw it, the choice was to allow their kids
to beg on the streets, which they rejected.

At the same time, there are huge dollar stores selling every imaginable
luxury. Wage and salary differentials are mushrooming.

Query: given the outrageous hostility of the States and the enormous
economic difficulties facing Cuba today, how does allowing (encouraging?)
increased income differentials (to the point where women are forced into
prostitution) help address the underlying problems?

In solidarity with the Cuban people,

Sid

PS -- please, Louis, try to address the substantive issues that I'm trying
to raise without engaging in ad hominem attacks on me for raising them.