-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis R Redmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: Good news: Welfare gains

>There really is no difference between
>the two factions of our one-party-state, which have (sub)merged into that
>living horror, the Party of Wall Street. So Clinton has ponied up a few
>pennies for welfare, so what? An extra $15 billion in EIC benefits is
>nice, but real wages for the poor have continued to plummet, meaning that
>there are more poor people who can take the exemption.

Now, wages have dropped, but the increase in the EIC is worth something like a
25% increase in wages for the lowest paid workers.  Combined with the minimum
wage increase pushed through by Kennedy et al, the Dems have actually not done
that badly by low-wage workers in the last six years.  And remember,
three-quarters of Dems voted against NAFTA and four-fifths voted against "fast
track."

If the Dems are so completely the party of Wall Street, how come the vast
majority voted against Wall Street's top priority bills?

There is obviously corporate influence all over the Democrats which
counterbalances the power of unions and other grassroots folks in the party, but
to see the party in simplistic all business influence is to ignore the struggle
and successes of our folks in exerting our power.   Which was the point of my
post in the first place.

--Nathan