Bill,

        We have recombined, through introduction of exotics, many species
that were once separated by continental drift and other geography.  Fish
species come immediately to mind - the salmoninds, tilapias, etc,.  We are
also introducing species and then isolating them with human development.
Thus rainforset species are brought together over mountain ranges and then
isolated by roads, towns, industry.

        That being said, isolation and stress are the two main speciation
forces, as Darwin himself identified.  Of course I also said that we are
wiping out species far, far faster than we are helping to foster their
creation.

        peace