I know Doug Henwood reported in 1995 that the Social Security "collapse"
was based on low-balled projections of economic growth during the next 75
years -- an analysis that is still overlooked in nearly all reports on the
Social Security "crisis". My question: If Social Security were privatized
and everybody bought mutual funds, and the economy still grew at the anemic
rate of 1.5 percent that the system's trustees assumed in order to
manufacture the crisis, would the stock market grow enough to finance the
private pensions?

-- Jim Cullen

THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST
James M. Cullen, Editor
P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517
Phone: 512-447-0455
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter