Quoth Doug, after Michael Perelman:
> >Pat Buchanan might not be a fascist, but I think that we have to give him
> >credit for fashioning the language of hate that has become the mainstay of
> >modern politics.
>
> He deserves to share that credit with Kevin Phillips, who has become
> something of a darling of the liberals these days. I believe that Phillips
> first came to national attention in Garry Wills' book, Nixon Agonistes,
> where he explained that the key to doing politics was understanding who
> hates whom. Phillips was the engineer of Nixon's southern strategy, to
> which Gingrich & The Contract With America are the heirs, even as Phillips
> now criticizes them. Thomas Byrne Edsall, reviewing Phillips' Politics of
> Rich and Poor, said that Phillips is like an architect who, having designed
> a house, hates it when he sees it built.

One of the more honorable deserters of the conservative ship is
Michael Lind; honorable in that he never - I don't recall - joined in
the real hog wallow of political invective while aboard.
Does anyone think that inviting him to the list is a good idea?
                                                                  valis

     "It's silly talking about how many years we will have to spend
      in the jungles of Vietnam when we could pave the whole country
      and put parking stripes on it and still be home by Christmas."

         -- Ronald Reagan, in the Fresno Bee (October 10, 1965)