I have a proposal for Barkley:  We invite leaders
from the Serbs and from Kosovo to join us in a
restaurant in Montreal for an evening with appropriate
amounts of wine (and in my case seafood) and we will
both guarantee peace --  at least for as long as the
wine and seafood lasts.  Do you accept the challenge?

On a more academic level, let me point out some of
the interesting dificulties.

I have been involved in a research study of the effect of
the privatization of social capital (and the move from
'worker self management' to capital direct management) on
both how workers respond (and how output responds) and on
the effect of legislated 'co-determination' on industrial
relations in Slovenia.  We now have interviews with approx
120 enterprises and union officials on the 'new regime'
representing most of the major entorprises in Slovenia.
  I have recently received an invitation to from the
respected (and independent) 'Institute of Economic Science"
(Institut Ekonomski Nauka) to do such a study in
Yugoslavia (Serbia and Cerna Gora) in conjuction with
the national trade unions.  But this relates back to
Barkeley's message -- to  what extent is American policy
kjwilling to accept accedemic research -- or to what extent
is it willing to confine 'research' to ideologically acceptable
constraints.?