James Devine wrote:

>As I read Madrick, he's not saying it's a failure of the supply of
>imagination but an increased demand for imagination. With a greater
>emphasis on idiosyncratic products (niche markets), there's more need for
>creativity of a craft-making sort. Each boutique and boutique product has
>to be different.

Everyone says this, but is it really true? Looking around my room here I
see: a Macintosh G3, a Sony monitor, a pile of Zip disks, an HP laser
printer, a Supra modem, a Sony boombox, another Macintosh and its Sony
monitor, a Sharp fax machine.... all of them produced in mass quantities.
And piles of books and periodicals, also produced in mass quantity. Has
anyone ever demonstrated this assertion rigorously, or is it just another
one of those things we "know"?

Doug