I had written: >The realist postulate is not about the content of what we
know. All it says is that there is actually something "out there" that is a
basis for our perceptions. The "god exists" postulate, on the other hand,
is very specific about what exists. It is asserting much more.<

Ricardo responds: >Jim also wants to have it both ways. On the one hand [1]
the realist does not assume anything about the "content" of the world.; on
the other, [2] the realist does know that there is something out there
which we can perceive, which is the basis of our knowledge.<

[1] Actually, the realist _does_ assume something about the "content" of
"the world," i.e., that it is in some way related to our perceptions, being
in some way the basis for our perceptions. (So if one actually perceives
gods or goddesses, there's some reality behind that perception, even if it
may be the consumption of LSD.)

But when I wrote about this (as seen in the selection that Ricardo himself
quotes, which was repeated above),  the referent of the word "content" was
not "the world" (objective reality) as Ricardo asserts, but instead "what
we know" (subjective perceptions). This blatant misinterpretation just
confuses matters.

[2] And the realist does not "know" that "there is something out there ...
which is the basis of our knowledge." As I said before, the realist
_postulates_ (i.e., assumes rather than knows) that there is something out
there which is the basis of our knowledge. We perceive something. The
realist assumes that this perception in some way reflects the external
world, objective reality.

So I am not "having it both ways." Rather, Ricardo is interpreting what I
said in a way that promotes the appearance of contradiction (though perhaps
this is not his goal).

Ricardo continues: >  Clearly, Jim's position is necessarily  metaphysical
in that it assumes knowledge of something out there, which he says cannot
be proven but is none the less the ground of knowledge. So, what we do
no[t] know is the basis of what we know! <

I did not assume knowledge of what's actually out there. Ricardo may
remember that I invoke the well-known blind folk/elephant metaphor, which
explicitly says that the blind don't _know_ what the elephant is. Along
with ontological realism I advocate epistemological skepticism.

Now am putting forth a "necessarily metaphysical" position? It depends on
what's meant by "metaphysical." And whether or not that's bad and to be
avoided (as suggested by Ricardo's phrasing) depends on the definition of
the word. My _Webster's New World Dictionary_ has a few definitions of
metaphysics:

"1. the branch of philosophy that deals with first principles and seeks to
explain the nature of being or reality (ontology) and the origin and
structure of the world (cosmology): it is closely associated with the study
of the nature of knowledge (epistemology)."

I'm not concerned here with cosmology, but I think that ontology and
epistemology deserve to be discussed. If Ricardo rejects this kind of
metaphysics, he seems to be saying that we shouldn't even be discussing
ontology or epistemology. Well, I never asked him to participate in the
discussion.

"2. speculative philosophy in general."

I, for one, see nothing wrong with speculative philosophy as long as we
note that it is speculative. Is this the kind of metaphysics that Ricardo
rejects?

"3. the theory or principles (of some branch of knowlege)."

I'm no positivist, so I see nothing wrong with examining questions in
greater depth than the usual. Is looking into an issue in greater
philosophical depth what Ricardo objects to?

"4. popularly, any very subtle or difficult resoning."

I don't think I'm guilty here. What I said wasn't deep or subtle. It was
only difficult when Ricardo misinterpreted it.

There's also the definition that Engels seems to use on occasion, i.e.,
metaphics deals with parts of the whole, violently abstracting them from
the whole. I wasn't engaged in that kind of metaphysics.

in pen-l solidarity (if pen-l really exists rather than being a product of
my fevered imagination),

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.