Rob's post makes good sense.  I would throw in the overcapacity problem.

So granting that we are near the edge of a serious crisis, how do we prepare to
make things better.

In the U.S., I can see Richard Gephart (a founder of our conservative
Democratic Leadership Council) leading the "I told you so troops."  What can we
offer as an alternative.

I still stand convinced that what the left lacks is an alternative vision of
the world that sounds credible.  How do we provide such a vision.

I asked for help in developing an analysis of neo-liberalism.  Patrick wrote in
with an obviously important request.  Nobody answered.

Let me throw in one observation about neo-liberalism, that hearkens back to the
dependency theorists.  Under a regime of neo-liberalism, it would seem
virtually impossible for a country to climb up many rungs on the economic
ladder.

Fiscal constraints will deny the mass of the people access to good education.
Technological experience will be hard to come by.  Doesn't neo-liberalism mean
that the same leaders will continue to lead the economic parade?

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321