Reckon you're making this out to be a little simpler than it is, Lou!  The
ruling class need not be particularly united on a host of particular policy
issues (China's gonna present 'em with some pretty divisive stimuli, I
reckon), there are often different ways to do someone's bidding (allocating
cuts, for instance), and then there's the little matter of the
superstructure sometimes preponderating in shaping particular events (as per
that famous Bloch letter).

I also think a lot of work had to be done to get America ready for Reaganism
- the competitive pains of which you speak were, after all, more than
evident to US capital nearly a decade before.  Even the mighty US ruling
class needs time, planning and patience to get big things (like the reversal
of a political culture) done.  And the more time it takes, the more luck you
need (chaos, complexity, uncertainty etc).  As things speed up, room for
manoeuvre and time for planning/preparing the punters shrink, I reckon.
Mebbe that'd be the forces of production falling out of kilter with the
relations of production?

Some of those qualifications are sorta Marxist in tone, no?

And anyway, the lesser of two evils might come to mean anything in times
where there is absolutely no other thing, good or evil, on the horizon.
That said, I'm in search of views here, and am happy for my speculations to
be convincingly contradicted.

Cheers,
Rob.