>  >the case. Essentially, the "lesser evil" strategy which helped to
>>facilitate Hitler's rise to power became central to the reformist left.
>
>>Of course, all of this is immaterial to non-Marxists.
>
>>Louis Proyect
>
>Very true. Actually, if one looks at the party politics of the pre-nazi
>germany, one can easily see that social democrats, the reformist left,
>were partially responsible for the rise of Hitler. Although social
>democrats were fully aware of the danger of Nazism, they preferred to go
with the wind...

Didn't Thaelmann confidently welcome the fall of Weimar and the
accession to power of Hitler, saying that in six months the masses
will turn to us?
Most others see the social democrats as playing a positive role in
trying to preserve the constitutional Weimar government against both
the Nazis and the Communists, each of which thought that *they* would
pick up the pieces when Weimar fell.

I didn't know there were any supporters of the policies of the
Comintern's "Third Period" still around; I thought they had all been
purged during the "Popular Front" period...

Brad DeLong