June Z. writes: >I am convinced that public telephones will soon be gone or
left unfixed as more people have cell phones, so that one will have not
much choice about buying one. <

recently, when my car broke down, I used a pay phone to call home. It
turned out that the GT&E phone _wouldn't accept coins_!!!!  WOULDN'T ACCEPT
COINS. Since I didn't have a GT&E calling card, I used my Mastercard to pay
for the call. Later, I received a charge on my MC account for 43 cents, a
full 8 cents (more than 22%) above the current normal price. This is
outrageous. It's the only time in years and years and years that I've
considered vandalism. Luckily the call to the auto club was free.

Dave, how are such things registered in the CPI?

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html
"A society is rich when material goods, including capital, are cheap, and
human beings dear."  -- R.H. Tawney.