At 11:47 AM 8/11/98 +0000, Jim Craven wrote:
>Thanks to Louis for publishing that piece. It reminds me of
>journalists who scream "But what about the people's right to know?"
>when someone being questioned refuses to answer. Translation: "But
>what about MY need for a 'scoop' so that I can get more exposure, so
>that I can get name recognition and become a Dan Rather so that I can get
preferred access

-- snip ---

I reply (WS): It is quite obvious that producers of knowledge have personal
interests in the commodity their produce, as do the producres of, say,
ic--cream. Noone would hold it against Ben & Jerry if they failed to
disclose their political views to farmers from whom they buy milk, and who
migh find such views objectionable.  So why there is so much fuss about the
producers of intellectual commodity?

Knowledge is a commodity as everything else.  It is a manufactured product
that uses data only as raw material.  The producer has no specific
obligation to the source of the raw material, other than those specified by
law or a contract.

Specifically, public behavior is, by definition, public rather than
proprietary.  If I observe a cop or a fisherman doing what they would be
ordinarily doing in their everyday life - they have no proprietary rights
whatsover to how that behavior appears to the outside observers.  Since any
observation is by its very nature selective (i.e. I perceive ceratin
features as more salient than others and ignore still other features
altogether) - there is no deception on my part whatsover, if I use my
observations of others to write a story I like.

Those others may or may not like the story I wrote, just like the dairy
farmers may or may not like Ben & Jerry's ice cream.  In both cases, the
people who supplied raw material to the manufactured product might complain
about the 'misuse' of that raw material.  They have the right to voice
their disappointment.  But that does not mean that such disappointment
ought to receive an institutional sanction in the form of professional or
legal restrictions.

Of course, that would be different if I used deception or false pretenses
to ask people to behave in a certain way or to obtain information that
otherwise would not be given to anyone.  Or if I used my authority position
to that end.

Much of the debate about ethics in sociological/anthroplogical research
originates, in my view, in two misperceptions.  First is the misguided
opinion (aka 'political correctness') that every aspect of human
interaction can be regulated by some form of formal authority and formal
rules of behavior in order to prevent potential inequalities or abuses.
Second is the belief that people own the cultural impressions they give
off.  Both beliefs are, in my view, dove-tailing with the capitalist drive
toward formalization and marketisation of every form of human interaction.

Oftentimes, the 'ethics' is used as a disguised ad hominem attack in lieu
of ad rem arguments.

Best regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski