Hoping someone might have feedback/thoughts/possible resources for
something I'm working on these days.

I'm working on a paper exploring the various ways beepers work in
US capitalist economies. I'm using a few examples. (1) beepers as
surveillance devices within a workplace--thinking here of a factory floor
where workers can always be reached by bosses. This can be
characterized as the Panoptic beeper. (2) Beepers in the 24/7
office--thinking here of those poor souls who can always be reached by
co-workers, clients, and supervisors via cell phones, beepers and email.
I'm lumping these together because they are both examples of employees
being surveilled and controlled. I think I can do a straightforwad
Foucauldian analysis of these. Now, example (3) is turning out to be
tricky for me. This is the beeper and the gangsta. I'm looking at
the role of beepers in the drug trade. Unfortunately, this is the main
focus of the paper. Now, I think I can do a bit on beepers (and
underground economies) and flexible accumulation. I can do a bit on
employment opportunities in inner cities leading to involvment in the
drug trade. I can do a bit on beepers as surveillance--police perhaps
looking more closely (i think this might be more of an historical point)
at young black men with beepers than without.

If anyone could recommend any good *articles* on postfordism that would be
really helpful. Also, does anyone know anything about the political
economy of the US urban drug trade? I haven't been able to locate anything
on drug-dealing and wireless technologies--don't think it exists so i'm
probably going to have to qualify that section with "popular
perception..."
Does this even make sense? At the very least, I have a good title.

Thanks in advance.

Frances