August 25, 1998

With Resignation, Russians Work Ever Harder for Even Less

 By MICHAEL WINES

MOSCOW -- Nina Kostina cheered Boris Yeltsin's ascension to the presidency
in 1991. She voted to re-elect him in 1996. She expected to be comfortably
into her retirement by now. Instead she is a cleaning woman at the Old
Moscow Circus, working 11-hour days and taking home $70 a month -- maybe --
after last week's ruble devaluation.

Better not to ask what she thinks about Yeltsin's promise Monday that his
latest government shakeup will bring stability to Russia.

"I thought we would live normally," she said bitterly, trudging toward a
Moscow metro station as dusk fell Monday evening. "He said to wait half a
year; wait a year; wait another year. Now I've waited seven years -- and
nothing. We don't expect anything better, because there's nothing good. I
only count on my own self."

Russians have waited seven years for Yeltsin's capitalist revolution to
bear fruit, only to be confronted this month with the certainty that life
will again become more expensive, and probably harder, before it gets better.

Russians are famous for their stoicism. But there are hints that the
country's legendary forbearance -- with Yeltsin's bureaucratic pirouettes,
with their hard lives -- may be eroding.

A nationwide poll of 6,000 Russians conducted shortly before the latest
economic crisis registered a marked increase -- from 50 percent in March to
65 percent in mid-August -- in the share of respondents who said Yeltsin's
government could "no longer count on the people's patience."

Twelve percent of respondents said they were ready to join a strike, and 11
percent said they supported an armed uprising against the government --
figures that have roughly doubled in six months.

Only 8 percent had any faith that Yeltsin's program of tax and economic
reforms would improve their lives. The poll has a margin of error of plus
or minus two percentage points, according to Nuzgar Betaneli, head of the
Sociology and Parliamentarianism Institute, which conducted the survey.

In an interview Monday, Betaneli said that Russians' dwindling hope for
economic improvement is directly tied to their increased willingness to
protest. He also predicted that the public will see Yeltsin's latest
reshuffling of his government in a poor light unless the president can
better explain his motives for the change in leadership. Polls can be
conducted or interpreted wrongly of course, and Russia is so vast and
diverse that snapshots of the public mood are difficult to take well.

(complete article at www.nytimes.com)

Louis Proyect