James Devine wrote:

>does anyone know when (and where) Alan Greenspan suggested that low
>inflation in the U.S. could be attributed to increased worker economic
>insecurity despite falling unemployment rates? who were the main critics of
>this theory and where did they write?

Greenspan to the JEC, June 10, 1998:

>In the first few years of the expansion, the subdued rate of rise in
>hourly compensation seemed to be, in part, a reflection of greater
>concerns among workers about job security. We now seem to have moved
>beyond that period of especially acute concern, though the flux of
>technology may still leave many workers with fears of job skill
>obsolescence and a willingness to trade wage gains for job security.
>This may explain why, despite the recent acceleration of wages, the
>resulting level of compensation has fallen short of what the experience
>of previous expansions would have led us to anticipate given the current
>degree of labor market tightness. In the past couple of years, of
>course, workers have not had to press especially hard for nominal pay
>gains to realize sizable increases in their real wages. In contrast to
>the pattern that developed in several previous business expansions, when
>workers required substantial increases in pay just to cover increases in
>the cost of living, consumer prices have been generally well-behaved in
>the current expansion. Changes this past year in prices of both goods
>and services have been among the smallest of recent decades.

Greenspan to the House Banking Committe, July 21, 1998:

>For one thing, increases in hourly compensation have been slower to pick
>up than in most other recent expansions, although, to be sure, wages
>have started to accelerate in the past couple of years as the labor
>market has become progressively tighter. In the first few years of the
>expansion, the subdued rate of rise in hourly compensation seemed to be,
>in part, a reflection of greater concerns among workers about job
>security. We now seem to have moved beyond that phase of especially
>acute concern, though the flux of technology may still be leaving many
>workers with fears of job skill obsolescence and a willingness to trade
>wage gains for job security. In the past couple of years, of course,
>workers have not had to press especially hard for nominal pay gains to
>realize sizable increases in their real wages. In contrast to the
>pattern that developed in several previous business expansions, when
>workers required substantial increases in pay just to cover increases in
>the cost of living, consumer prices have been generally well-behaved in
>the current expansion.

You can read AG talking about this in the present tense rather than the
past by paging through his testimonly collected at the Fed's website,
<http://www.bog.frb.fed.us/>.

By the way, Laurence Meyer has turned out to be very hawkish. Isn't he some
sort of Keynesian?

Doug