G'day Doug:

Good point, this:

>Remember that software sales account for a tiny share of GDP, so I'd be
>careful about making too many grand conclusions from studying the industry.
>Microsoft's annual sales are around $15 billion, which is pocket change in
>an $8 trillion U.S. economy (and MSFT does plenty of business abroad, too).

But what of the information economy in general?  Y'know, the provision of
data bases, electronic entertainment (from films to porn web sites to
recorded music), the relatively sudden US-based control of a plethore of
mint-your-own formerly public telcos (physical infrastructure, built with
local labour, invariably discounted to obscene degreees for political
purposes), the digitally enhanced concentration in the US of an elite of
fund-managers-to-the-world, IT outsourcing by the world's governments to
largely US-based companies, careering stock values based on the projected
capacity to extract surplus indirectly from overseas, the digitally
enhanced capacity to appropriate brain-power by way of foreign-based
wage/contract workers, the great patent scandal, and the simple fact that
fixed-cost information benefits entities according to their capacity to
benefit (ie. their size, US companies generally being pretty big).

And that's for starters!

Is it appropriate to throw all this into the calculation?  It does all seem
to fall under the
fix-your-prices-without-reference-to-inputs-and-domesticate-the-profits
heading, doesn't it?  And I bet it adds up handsomely.

And to run a lousy current account in the context of advantages like that
must take some doing.

Yours in over-reaching speculation,
Rob.