I just read Valis' "review" of Saving Private Ryan.

Sounds pretty depressing - especially going to a coffee bar afterwords.

I haven't seen the movie but I thought I'd like to share some thoughts about
the sentimentality associated with WW II, and perhaps Spielberg's motivation.

My dad was a front-line grunt (infantryman) who, at 19, was fighting in the
Battle of the Bulge.  He never, ever, spoke about his experiences in great
detail, despite my prodding, and I have never pushed him to tell me.  Though
I'd say his politics are conservative (but thoughtful), he NEVER embellished
his war experiences in patriotic terms - in fact he never went in for the
flag-waving VFW stuff.  A few years back, he finally made some comments about
this latter point.  He said that when your under fire, your only concern is
about staying alive and your concern for your buddy - all the other grander
ideals don't mean anything.  You live for the moment; 99% of your time is
spent trying to stave off the mind-numbing discomforts of cold, hunger and
boredom.  Despite the US army's vaunted logistical support, they sent my dad
and his division to the line in with summer boots!!!  My dad got frozen feet;
he didn't have a bath or shower for a stretch of 6 weeks as they moved through
Belgium and into Germany; often his squad would get a bit a head that they
couldn't get k-rations.  One time, he told me how they came upon a farmhous
where the German's had just abandoned and they found a fresh loaf of bread.
My dad was starving and just devoured it, despite having been told that it
might be poisoned.  These are the few types of stories he has told me.

As a kid growing up, I was always very proud of my dad' having fought in the
last "noble war" - even though he never, ever, expressed such pride.  He was
just grateful to get through the experience in one piece, and saw death come
too early to his buddies that did not come back.  I don't know if this is
accurate, but of the millions of US soldiers that served in WW II, only about
800,000 actually experienced combat duty (in the European theatre).  Why is
Spielberg making this movie at this time?  Perhaps because we are about to
lose this generation, and he wants to remember something good and grand about
America?  I don't know if his movie accomplishes this.  Maybe they should make
a movie just of interviews of just infantrymen who have served in all the US
wars.  Just let them speak for themselves and let all these idiots in Congress
listen.  Maybe that would have some impact on them.

Peace,

Jason