>In other words, I think the argument is misplaced --- let's argue
>about endogenous preference formation and how it leads the market to
>(among other things) provide too much of goods with negative
>externalities, too little "public" goods, and (perhaps) too much
>grease, sugar, and tobacco.
>

>Bill

All this is going to come into very sharp focus in my next post on the
Blackfoot. It turns out that the Whiskey trade was instrumental in leading
to their downfall, just as opium was to the Chinese. The problem with
discussing preferences for Coca-Cola (originally made with cocaine),
tobacco, alcohol, sugar and coffee in the abstract is that this is of
little interest to Marxists. Political economy is supposed to be what
interests us, not what is "politically correct." This is LM territory and
is pretty low-level. Cockburn has been drifting into this territory himself
with curmudgeonly complaints about campers versus hunters. He thinks
hunting is great. I mean really who gives a shit. (Sorry, Don Roper.)

I think one of the reasons that Doug is obsessed (well, nearly obsessed) is
that he runs a radio show at WBAI, the local Pacifica station. This
god-damned station would turn anybody into a cigarette-smoking, MacDonalds
eating, Hustler reading fanatic. The station broadcasts heart-on-the-sleeve
appeals 24 hours a day on behalf of vegetarianism, animal rights, East
Timor, Mumia, spirituality, New Age hokum, farmworkers, etc. And it is all
EXTREMELY BORING. The station purged all the "personalities" about ten
years ago and I stopped listening. Nowadays I am a big fan of WFMU, a
college station that plays nothing but obscure rock-and-roll. Late at night
they feature "Death Metal," an interesting genre in which the lead vocalist
always sings in a guttural roar. The topics of the songs are usually about
worshipping Satan's penis or impaling kittens on a pitchfork.

Meanwhile, I think Doug leads a sheltered life. One of these days I am
going to drag his hedonist ass over to South Africa and let Pat Bond take
us out on a trek into the wilderness. No hot showers, no morning coffee, no
WFMU. We will observe Zebras in their habitat, play the guitar and watch
shooting stars at night.

Louis Proyect