Thanks for that, Michael.  A proper little worry-guts you make of me as I
make for my bed ...

One paranoid thought that struck as I read the Observer piece was that
government and medical authority campaigns here have been in full swing on
the matter of the gradual decline in various bacterias' vulnerability to
antibiotic treatment.  The cause has always been unproblematically asserted
as over-medicating (something for which the patient gets the blame,
incidentally - they wouldn't feel like they got good service unless they
come away with a prescription, apparently).

Anyway, in that light, the paragraph

"One of the biggest concerns is if the anti-biotic resistant gene used in
some GM  crops crossed over to bacteria. 'If this happened it would leave us
unable to treat  major illnesses like meningitis and E coli ,'"

brings this claim

" ... we also know many people have been eating GM products for years
without showing any signs of ill health,"

into question, no?

I mean, who's to say the recent failures of regular antibiotic treatments
of, say, tuberculosis (a leading problem area in this respect, I'm told),
are down to overmedication at all?  Maybe the poor sod's a soy-milk drinker
and has been unwittingly pouring antibiotic resistant shite down his neck
for a decade!

All based on pure ignorance, of course, but who's to blame for my ignorance
here?  I mean, where the hell would I go for information I'm entitled to
trust on this stuff?

Mr Angry of Sutton