First, I did say, somewhere in my long message, that I think the BLS does a
good job given the limitations.

On the one hand, I agree that if contingency is not quantitatively such a
large issue for the working class, it should definitely be pointed out.  On
the other hand, I think you are not addressing the basic discussion which I
was trying to raise:
1.  Using the bls data, and hence the bls definition of contingency, is too
narrow.  The quantitative nature of contingency is probably understated when
viewed solely with bls data because the definition is too narrow.  The
problem of contingent work becomes greater if the definition is broadened
out.  To use bls data, say that, given this data, the problem of contingency
is not so great is to ignore those sections of the working class which are
not covered by the data.
2.  You ignore the differential effect of contingent work on different
sections of the working class.  It is the very sections most likely to be
undercounted who are most affected by low paid, temporary, and seasonal
labor.

None of this is meant to say that bls data are not important.
maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]