Jim D wrote:

> (I find belief in "long waves" to be exactly that, a faith, an
> assumption.)

I think there are a number of problems with the long wave hypothesis that I
haven't seen answered satisfactorily. Firstly, there is the question of
sample size. How many "long waves" have there been? Not so many
historically, I think, to make any conclusions about regularity or timing.
Then, there is the question of causal mechanisms. Some like Mandel have
pointed to the turnover of constant fixed capital and the pace of
technological change, but others like Trotsky noted that changes in the
long waves tended to occur during periods of major social and political
change (1789, 1848, 1871, etc.). So, I think there is a problem of
reconciling the basic causes of the waves with historically contingent
events.

Oops ... did I stir up something?

Jerry