Robin Hahnel writes: >>In both macro institutions -- like
participatory planning -- and micro institutions like workers and
consumers councils there are better and worse ways to organize
equitable cooperative decision making. Debates about such
procedures should be at the top of progressive economists
think/research agendas -- though they seldom are.<<

right! we need to figure out how to improve democratic
procedures. Under capitalism, of course, all the incentives are
such that the powerful do not want to improve such procedures.

Also, about the idea that participatory planning would be like an
endless student council meeting (which I think was what Nancy
Folbre said to Doug Henwood, if my memory serves me): the problem
with student council meetings (as with the recent Dole/Clinton
election) was that the students have no power; the principal
remains in power. Under Robin & Mike Albert's scheme (if it works
as promised), the voting would actually have an impact. That
would encourage a different kind of politics, a different
dynamic.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.