Michael addressed the 20s and 30s and Tavis jumped to the 80s and 90s.  I
want to insert the 60s.

        In the mid 1960s European steel makers, and I think the Japanese,
were building capacity with new technology, the BOF.  US steel companies --
and as I recall, specifically United States Steel as it was still named at
the time --  were also adding capacity, but adding what was well accepted
as obsolete technology.  So the issue wasn't industrial vs. finance, they
WERE adding capacity, but obsolete.  Just dumb?  Unaware?  No, not unaware,
a lot of people questioned the choice of technology at the time.