> From:          James Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       [PEN-L:10515] yet more planning & democracy

Sorry to put you out of sorts, Jim.  I know that
snipping your posts annoys you so I tried to
inhibit myself.  I'm doing the best I can.  For
me at least, it gets hard once you're past
four or five levels of back-and-forth to maintain
a coherent exchange.

I'll state how I see our differences and leave you the last word.

Given the capacities and inclinations of persons in an
economy where capital is held in common, there are
one or more allocations of resources which are feasible
and which do 'pretty well' for social welfare and efficiency.
Maybe there is even one best one, but that is not material
to my argument.

Democracy in its myriad forms gives play to individual
and group interests, the aggregation of which would
not be consistent with any of those 'pretty good plans.'
More and better democracy for this reason does not move
a society closer to a good plan, though it has appeal
for other reasons.  The free play of self-interest does not
make chaos inevitable.  Political harmony can indeed
result.  I see no normative economic value to such a
harmony, though I can see other values pertaining to
justice, among other things.

By contrast, you seem to define a good plan as the one which a
democratic process throws up.  I think this is a circular argument.
In this vein, I see political rights (including the procedures for
making collective decisions) as much more elastic than property
rights, your vehemence notwithstanding.  All things considered, the
implied economic outcome of a democratic process appears to be bereft
of normative economic content, such as social efficiency.  That's
why, in my view, you haven't answered how something as basic, albeit
profound, as a relative price consistent with a pretty good plan
would be determined.  In this light, I suggest that "social
efficiency" means quite a bit more than achieving an arbitrary set of
goals at least cost.  Bringing up 'Nazi death camps' in this context
is a little over-heated.

Having said all that, like you I'd be for "giving it a try" if there
was a snowball's chance in hell of such experimentation.

I will risk incurring your further wrath with one
snip, your final paragraph, in toto:

> Equity and efficiency and democracy have to work together; they should be
> seen as complements, not substitutes. These are the normative principles.
> Ultimately, the economist's abstract conceptions of equity and efficiency
> must be subordinated to what people want, i.e., democratic decision-making.
> Planning is one part of making this work.

That we would like equity and efficiency and democracy to be
complements does not mean that they are or that they can be.
That they 'must' is not a normative principle to me, since it begs
the question of whether or not a circle can be a square.  If,
"ultimately," our own notions of these things must give way to
"what people want" -- granting the problematic premise that they
will get what they want by some kind of democratic process --
then I would say that you have extracted economic science, radical
or otherwise, from the process.  You are left with plans to make
plans, rather than economic progress.

Cheers,

Max

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute.