Of course, Doug Henwood and Bill Lear are correct.  My fondest hope for
pen-l would be that we could break out of our closed circle and somehow do
something to develop something programatic.

>From time to time, people who are involved in the grass roots come to us
to ask for specific information.  In that respect, we do serve a purpose
beyond educating (and entertaining) ourselves.

I know that we cannot even agree on questions as fundamental as planning.

I did hear a hopeful note from David Corn on KPFA.  He says that he was on
a conservative talk show recently.  The audience saw through the Comp.
Time proposals in Congress and did not like them.   If Pat Buchanan could
mobilize left sentiments during the last election, why the hell have we
been unable to do it.

So Doug, of course, I am painfully aware that just reciting the mantra
grass roots does little in itself.  I am in a quandry about what to do
next, but, as we all know, the first steps are often the hardest.
 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321