The PK phenomenon raises all kinds of interesting questions for
consideration.  Realizing how hard it is to build legitimate grass roots
mass movements nationally, I am always somewhat suspicious of something like
PK that goes from a few hundred to a few thousand, to hundreds of thousands
in just a couple of years.  That kind of growth, even if it taps into
wide-spread and deep social discontent, does not happen without considerable
resources.  I rather doubt it was entirely self-financed (by passing the
plate at PK events).  That does not mean it is illegitimate or a sinister
tool of hidden forces.  But it does suggest institutional or other support.
That support might have come from organized church and religious groups that
endorsed what PK said it was all about.  It may have come from wealthy
donors.  It could have come from the religious right, or from other
rightwing or right-leaning sources.  It may have been combination of all of
those and more.

Do some of those "investors" have their own ideological agenda?  You bet
they do.  Their relationship to PK may be totally opportunistic, sinister,
or parasitic.  Others may see PK as a means to gain access to an audience
they could not easily secure in their own rights.  Assume all of that.

Still PK has obviously tapped into a widespread sentiment among some men and
speaks to deeply felt needs and anxieties.  There is much angst in the land
and much pain in the psyches of men, especially working class and "middle
class" white men between the ages of 30 and 60 who are watching stable
elements of their personal and social world break down and feel powerless to
stop it or to protect themselves and their families from its consequences.
While most of the Left rails against the "system" and speaks to broad issues
of economic and social justice, they do not address the individual and
personal pain that is a derivative of the systemic forces at work.  That was
not always so, but it is so now and has been so for at least the last
several decades.  That is because the Left can no longer offer the cultural
and spiritual support and framework within which individuals can make sense
of their lives and of the world-shaking changes going on about them.  (One
need only catalog the range of "cults," spiritual healers, meditators,
counter-culture communes, and other phenomenon that have passed through our
social scene over the last three or four decades to see evidence of this
void and how folks try to fill it.)  Unlike the PK, the Left has proven
unable to offer a compelling vision of what an alternative social
arrangement might be like.

Whether PK has an ulterior or hidden agenda, or is subject to the
manipulation of those who do, I really am in no position to judge.  That it
could fall prey to that despite the best intentions of its founders, I do
not doubt.  It also appears clear to me that PK's message is a mixed and
contradictory one when it comes to male-female relations, hierarchy, and
other matters for which legitimate criticism has been raised.  Alarmist
condemnations and wild stereotyping, however, whatever the intentions of
those who use them, do nothing to alter the course PK will take (and may
actually accelerate PK down that trajectory as a defensive reaction).  The
best antidote I know for any reactionary potential PK may have or
prophylactic against that is the creation of a legitimate, mass-based,
democratic movement that addresses the underlying systemic causes of social
and spiritual malaise and alienation -- one that offers those attracted to
PK another (not necessarily competing) alternative for what ails them -- one
that creates a cultural and spiritual community that is egalitarian,
nurturing, healing, supportive, and life-affirming and a vision of how
society might be organized toward those ends.

That's my two cents.

In solidarity,
Michael