Paul,
     Of course.  But then I and most on this list who have
defended permits have done so not on the basis of free
distribution or sale at below social cost.  Again, I would
appreciate equivalent plans being compared, not an ideal
non-existent tax plan with an actually-existing permit plan
with all its flaws.  For such a comparison of course Robin
is right and ideal taxes look better.
     Probably the bottom line on why permits might be
better, even when flawed (the big challenge Robin issued)
is indeed the catastrophe issue of a sudden increase in
social cost.  Taxes can really mess up where permits might
not.  Of course Robin simply dismissed this as "99% bull"
and some kind of theoretical abstraction, but that is mere
assertion, and given the existence of lots of
nonlinearities and discontinuities in our
ecological-economic system, one that is not easily
defended.  Of course knowing where those cutoffs are is a
problem under any system, social/political/economic, no
matter what.  We need more information.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley