At 11:02 AM 5/4/98 -0400, Lou Proyect wrote, inter alia:
>A similar drive no doubt explains the Zionist enterprise. It is tragic that
>such a campaign for economic and cultural survival took place at the
>expense of another oppressed nationality. The Jews would have been much
>better off after WWII if their struggle for national emancipation had
>targeted the German soil instead of the Arab land. If the Zionists had
>announced that their goal was to turn Saxony into a homeland for the
>Jews--or even Texas or Pennsylvania--then the struggle would have had a
>progressive rather than a reactionary dimension.

I liked most of your posting, but on that one I must say, it's not the
location, Lou, it is the nature of the state.  Jewish culture achieved its
unique identity largely because it was freeded from the institutional
straitjacket of the state; and the formation of the state -- no matter
where located -- robbed it of that identity.

Regards,

Wojtek