Jim Devine wrote,

>---> in simple terms, the theory tells us that the capitalists have the
>whip hand in the economy and if the economy and the government don't
>deliver the goods to them, they punish us with unemployment and/or
>inflation.   Note that this is very different from MF's theory is which is
>simply a matter of supply and demand.

But neither version gives us the whole story. Both leave out the possibility
of administering incomes and prices. Monetarists object to price/income
controls on the grounds that price signals operating through the market are
the only reliable way to allocate resources efficiently (although they will
downplay the corrolary, which is that letting recessions run their
destructive course is the only way to ensure the efficient allocation of
capital).

But the real problem with price/incomes policy is that it raises political
demands for making the administrative process transparent. It's just sooooo
convenient to blame "the market" (which is to say blame the victim for not
having marketable attributes) for personal hardship.

All I'm trying to say is that the contradictions of Keynesianism are
political, not economic. I think it's really convoluted to try to show why
Keynesianism can't work "economically". And it makes for some strange
bedfellows.

Keynesianism could work just fine, thankyouverymuch, if the rentiers would
kindly take Maynard's advice and slit their own throats. By the same token,
though, the dictatorship of the proletariat could sail into harbour
uncontested if the capitalist geese would kindly roast themselves and stick
knifes and forks in their backs.

And it should go without saying that monetarism can prevail for as long as
the other 95% of us can tolerate having our faces rubbed in shit and be told
that it was our free choice.

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.