--------------2B0CFD8CA0F7D8F432B0B227

Friends,

Isn't it the prediction, rather than the abstraction, that is at issue
here.  If Marx were alive, I doubt he'd think much needed to be revised
in terms of the abstraction, and he'd sure have a lot of evidence of
relative immiseration. (see Louis's posts about suffering in various
Asian nations for example).

I don't know whether or not Hahnel grasps Marx's method (By the way, I
think Hahnel and Albert have written lots of interesting things,
including their critique of welfare economics).  Lots of eminent
economists have not.

michael yates
William S. Lear wrote:

> On Thu, September 10, 1998 at 12:04:49 (-0400) Mike Yates writes:
> >Friends,
> >
> >I concur with Jim's assessment of Robin's analysis. Why is it that so
> >many people do not grasp Marx's use of abstraction? You would think that
> >economists, trained in neoclasical abstraction, would understand it
> >without that much difficulty.  Also, it should be noted that there is
> >plenty of immiseration in the First World, certainly in D.C. where Robin
> >teaches.
>
> As if Robin does not understand "Marx's use of abstraction".  He
> simply happens to think his abstractions are wrong in many cases.  Is
> criticism of the abstraction about the increasing immiseration of the
> working class an instance of not grasping the abstraction, or simply
> disagreeing with it?  What if Marx himself were later to decide that
> this want' quite right?  Would Marx himself be guilty of the charge
> you so easily level at Robin?
>
> Bill
--------------2B0CFD8CA0F7D8F432B0B227

begin:          vcard
fn:             Michael Yates
n:              Yates;Michael
org:            University of Pittsburgh
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Dept. of Economics
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE