I am not sure this went out the first time so this is attempt #2.
It is a response to Barkley's question on land reform in South Korea.
Marty

In terms of Korea, perhaps the following helps provide background to the
question below on land reform in Korea, it comes from page 339 in Korea
Old and New, A History (which is no radical book so read between the
lines):

"Economic and social reform under American military rule reflected
USAMGIK's basic political orientation toward the right.   Althought the
Americans moved quickly to reduce tenancy rates from one-half to one-third
of teh crop, land reform of any kind was continually postponed at teh
urging of USAMGIK's conservative Korean adviosrs in teh KDP, many of whom
were large landowners.  It was thus not until March 1948, in the last
months of military rule, that the Americans finally carried out a land
reform, but it was limitd to those rental lands formerly owned by teh
Japanese, less then twenty percent of the total."

In short, even under Japanese colonialism, the majority of large
landowners were Koreans, most of whom were active collaborators.  When the
war ended in 1945, in the North, Koreans carried out a comprehensive,
fair, and quick land reform. In the south the U.S. stopped such a reform.
In the south, the Koreans kept their land, the U.S. took the Japanese
land.  Finally in 1948 with massive opposition in the south to the
southern regime that the U.S. was trying to create, the U.S. introduced a
limitd land reform on Japanese land.  The newly elected South Korean
government refused to do the same.  Finally under great pressure from
South Koreans they passed but did not impliment a land reform in 1950.
There is every reason to beleive that that reform would never have been
implimented.  Then came the Korean War and the North swept south and
joined with leftists in the south making land reform as they went. They
did not follow the southern model but went further.

The Japanese past played a very small role, except to the extent that the
large Korean landowners were totally discredited from their past
association with the Japanese.

The US and South Koreans felt that they could not resist the Northern
initiated land reform and still fight the war so they did not oppose it
and when the war ended they implimented their own more limited version.

Marty