>June 4, 2000 / New York TIMES

Green Cheese Rules

RECKONINGS / By PAUL KRUGMAN<

COMMENTS: I don't have any specific comments, since I don't know enough
about Argentina and its economy. Given my ignorance of the specifics of the
case,  PK's commentary makes sense (i.e., that having a currency that's
absolutely hooked to the US dollar severely limits economic policy, in this
case encouraging stagnation). I hope that there's a pen-l member out there
(perhaps in Argentina) who can fill in the blanks. (I can send you a copy
of PK's article if you want.)

On a more general level, I hope that the Argentine example doesn't spread
to the US (as a WSJ opinion-maker hopes, as quoted by PK). The only way it
could work is for the US to hook the dollar to gold. That would encourage
deflation, unless large amounts of gold are found. (Of course, the return
to a gold standard would create a larger incentive to seek gold... or maybe
the US could fix up some scheme where the dollar depreciates at a steady
rate compared to gold, so as to prevent deflation. But the political forces
that want the gold standard are precisely those that would oppose such a
scheme and would prefer deflation.)

Another point is that, in an off-hand remark, PK pooh-poohs the idea that
an economic prosperity can create imbalances (i.e., barriers to recovery
from the subsequent recession), so that a purely demand-side effort at
recovery (using monetary and fiscal policy) is extremely difficult.

I think that the US stagflation crisis of the 1970s is a point against PK's
view here: the fall in the rate of profit from the 1950s to 1970 or so (a
result of the "golden age" of US capitalism) meant that demand-side
stimulus encouraged more than usual inflation, as did the way in which
raw-material prices were pulled up during that era. (The failure of
demand-side policy was blamed on an unusually high "natural" rate of
unemployment. When "nature" is blamed, it's a good sign of ideology at work.)

In the current economy, the accumulation of consumer debt (which is
currently driving the economy to higher GDP) will be an imbalance holding
the economy back after the recession hits. (The same is true, to a lesser
extent, of corporate debt.) We may have to apply the medicine that PK
recommends for Japan (i.e., an inflationary jolt) to get rid of the debt
barrier. Of course, that might make a normal depreciation of the dollar
more disastrous, given the response to the increasingly large US external
debt.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine