Jim shows the an excellent understanding of what I have been imperfectly
attempting to express.  I agree that I have no proof that the rise of
intellectual property has been sufficient to increase the average rate of
profit, even though I'm convinced that I'm correct in this respect.  Jim's post
was interesting in referring to the example of steel.  In my book I used the
same example in discussing Alan Greenspan's notion of the weightless economy.
I argued that to the extent that U.S. Steel was able to increase its markup,
that the steel industry became increasingly weightless.  Here is what I wrote:

"During the great merger wave at the turn-of-the-century, when the
major manufacturing industries of the United States consolidated,
the value per pound of production certainly increased.  I doubt
that anybody at the time looked at the steel industry and marveled
at how weightless it had become."

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department