Max's screed on social security is quite reasonable. That's exactly what's
wrong with it. This is 1998 and capitalism is beyond reason. Put Max in
charge of the whole budget show and give me a post as his court jester and
the two of us would have the whole thing ticking away like clock work in a
decade or two. It ain't going to happen. The baby boom retirement bulge that
privitizers relish is, hypothetically, no problem. It's certainly no MORE of
a problem for Social Security than it is for the securities markets. The
problem is, it's actually more of a problem for the securities markets than
it is for Social Security.

My crude hypothesis, which I divulged to Max and to Doug Henwood back in
August, is that the recently deceased stock market bubble of the mid-1990s
could be explained by a demographic anomoly which saw a substantial increase
in the working force population at peak earning (and retirement saving) age
and a considerable (short-lived) decline in the rate at which people were
reaching retirement age. In other words, there was an anomolous short term
bulge in the amount of new money coming into the markets.

That money (from pension funds, etc.) hasn't stopped coming into the
markets. But the rate at which the amount coming in each year is growing has
stopped accelerating. That's an awkward thing to say so I'll give an
example. An increase looks like this: 100, 110, 120, 130; an accelerating
increase looks like this: 100, 110, 122, 136. The situation I'm trying to
describe looks like this: 100, 110, 122, 134. This may seem like a fine
point unless one considers how compound interest works or the structure of
increase needed for a ponzi scheme to work. Even though 134 is still an
increase over 122, it's not enough of an increase to keep the ponzi rolling.
Anyone who knows how to use a spreadsheet can try this at home.

What I'm saying is that baby boom demographics fed the '94-'98 bubble and
now those demographics are starving it. For a snapshot of those demographics
see my page at http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/bearclaw.htm

Hypothetically, the markets could bob up and down for the next five years or
so, but after that -- no dice. After 2004 [ceteris paribus] the demographics
suggest an actual decline in the amount of new money coming into the market
each year through pensions and other retirement savings. Since I've never
met a ceteris who was paribus, I'd say it's all over, already. The fat lady
is singing.

Max is 100% right that the panic about "saving" Social Security is bogus.
But he's right about it for the wrong reasons. Social Security is in no
greater peril than the broader capitalist economy. But that broader economy
is in mortal peril. Max is also 100% correct that the increase in the ratio
of retired to active working population _could_ easily be offset by increase
productivity. BUT it could only be offset if the fruits of that increased
productivity go to the workers themselves. It's a worthy suggestion but it
isn't likely to happen without a fundamental political sea-change. So Max is
right that there is no apocalypse lurking in the numbers --
there is only one lurking in "business as usual."

Am I being apocalyptic? No. It would be apocalyptic to proclaim that all
boats are at all times on the brink of sinking. It's not apocalyptic to
point out that a boat is likely to sink if it hits an iceberg. We have met
the iceberg and it is us.

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.