The item that is arguably among "necessities" that has
gone way up since Mollie Orshansky's original calculations
in comparison to both food and other items is housing
costs, not surprising given that recent poverty has
manifested itself most dramatically in sharply higher rates
of homelessness.
    Over a decade ago, Robert Greenstein recalculated on
the basis of that and argued that the poverty rate cutoff
should be four times the minimum necessary food budget.
Needless to say that way increases the poverty rate.
     The usual offsetting argument has been that of
increasing in-kind benefits not taken into account.  Of
course conservatives have tended to pounce on that and have
published lots of papers claiming that the poverty rate has
fallen because of all the extra in-kind benefits.  Last
stuff I've seen is that taking the Greenstein critique into
account along with the in-kind benefits critique leaves the
"official poverty rate" in place as not too bad an estimate.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]