>Sometimes I say to myself--no offense to anybody on PEN-L--that scholarship
>is only meaningful if you don't get paid for it. Who cares if you get paid
>to read De Cecco, if it is part of getting ahead.

I agree, kinda.  We have a good, small group of Bolivian students here.
Together we are studying the conditions of labor in Cochabamba, while we
help out at the factory workers union.  No credit, no money; they do it
because they feel class is important, and they want people to see what they
see (exploitation, etc.).  Meeting with them is the highlight of my week!

Tom

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia
Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]