Jim Devine wrote,

>It's the MF's theory that is theoretically incoherent, not _all_ theories
>of the NAIRU.

It was my impression that Galbraith critiqued MF's theory specifically
because it was MF's theory that seized the policy stage. As far as I'm
concerned, the rest is a sideshow unless someone shows that this or that
NAIRU theory would be politically decisive in stopping the vomitous public
policy regime that we happen to be in. Can you do that? I mean, what's the
emancipatory pay-off?

I don't have any "mainstream colleagues" that I have to get along with. If I
was in an Econ Dept. it would be different. But I would just see it as a
corridor conversation topic like who won the World Series or whether a blow
job is a sexual relation.

>Sure, everyone knows the PC doesn't do a perfect job. That's why they
>always put a stochastic term in the regressions.

Doesn't do a perfect job of what? I don't give a rat's ass for the Philip's
Curve. I took Econ 101 twice in the 1960s (No, I didn't flunk, I transferred
from UC and they wouldn't give me credits) and the whole pile of rubbish
struck me as 1001 argumentative tricks for proving that a bad set of initial
assumptions is better than a good set. Not to mention that Samuelson came
out with a new "edition" every year so you couldn't sell your used textbooks.

>Of course he never said that. I never said he said that. Tom, for an
>anti-academic, you sure are good at quibbling.

I take that as a compliment. . . or two.

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.
Vancouver, B.C.