On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Mark laffey wrote:

> institutions.  Pointing out that 'it's different in economics' or asking 'why
> didn't you organize the clerical staff?' makes it sound as though, darnit, she
> was just a victim of self-delusion, and now self-pity.  I can't help but feel
> that there is a gendered element to these responses.

*Class* element, not gender -- the latter is the operating code or set of
narratives, the former is the content of such, in the same way that
ethnicity serves to denote deeper anxieties about who gets what in this
society. I've had exactly the same feelings she had when I've gotten
canned from various temp jobs -- you feel miserable, humiliated, deeply
insecure; the marketplace shows what Heiner Mueller called the "iron face
of its freedom" to you, and it hurts. Which is why it's important to bring
that theory in, instead of talking about how the university is seductive
but frustrating. It's not a question of organizing others, it's all about
organizing ourselves in whatever workplace we happen to be, academic or
otherwise.

Her articles, though, are pretty cool, so she probably knows this stuff
already, and was just putting on a show for Salon.

-- Dennis