Concerning this passage from Krugman on Pollin and Luce's book on living
wages:

>So what are the effects of increasing minimum wages?  Any Econ 101 student
>can tell you the answer: The higher wage reduces the quantity of labor
>demanded, and hence leads to unemployment.  This theoretical prediction
>has, however, been hard to confirm with actual data.  Indeed, much-cited
>studies by two well-regarded labor economists, David Card and Alan Krueger,
>find that where there have been more or less controlled experiments, for
>example when
>New Jersey raised minimum wages but Pennsylvania did not, the effects of
>the increase on employment have been negligible or even positive.  Exactly
>what to make of this result is a source of great dispute.  Card and Krueger
>offered some complex theoretical rationales, but most of their colleagues
>are unconvinced; the centrist view is probably that minimum wages "do," in
>fact, reduce employment, but that the effects are small and swamped by
>other forces.

To Bob and others interested--

The impact of imposing or raising a minimum wage is not as clearcut as
Krugman suggests, even under essentially neoclassical conditions; nor is
the theoretical rationale for this ambiguity isn't particularly "complex."
I've written a paper showing that under otherwise competitive exchange
conditions, the presence of "quasi-fixed labor costs"--labor costs that
vary with the number of employees rather than the total number of hours
worked, like health insurance or lockers or office space--creates a setting
in which raising a minimum wage may increase the number of *workers*
employed, even as it reduces the total number of *hours* worked by these
employees.    In this light, results such as those by Card and Krueger are
not so paradoxical.

Gil Skillman