Jim Devine:
>I really like the short discussions we on pen-l have about "biomass,"
>Pinochet, etc. along with Dave Richardson's posting of the news from the US
>Labor Department and Louis Proyect's and others' postings of articles from
>the mainstream media. After all, a wide coverage of a large number of
>different topics is part of political economics.
>
>But are political economists to leave economic theory to the neoclassicals?

I don't think that these sorts of "off-topic" postings are displacing
economic theory posts, which was Jerry Levy's complaint as I recall. After
LBO-Talk got started, there was no traffic to speak of on PEN-L for weeks
and weeks when all the professional economists had the list virtually to
themselves.

I think something else is going on, which I am in no position to evaluate.
In the deepest economic crisis since WWII, there is virtually no discussion
of it on PEN-L. This is not caused by "off-topic" posts but by something
else. As Brutus said, "The fault is not in the stars..."

Louis Proyect