> My brother tells me that under the Reagan administration the
> accounting of Social Security was changed.  He says that they used to
> be separate budgets, but now they are combined accounts.  He also says
> that the government has borrowed money from the Social Security
> accounts and not paid it back.
>
> Max (anyone), is this accurate?  Of what importance is this, if so?
> If not, what really happened?

I don't know exactly what the former status may
have been, or when it changed.
Currently Social Security is "off-budget", which
means there is a separate account.  This means,
among other things, that
the program's costs and receipts are reported
separately, the receipts are earmarked to the
specific account, and the account includes a
separate fund with inflows, outflows, and a
balance.  The fund balance consists of credits
for government bonds.  There are no actual
bonds on pieces of paper.  Nor can these bonds
be used in transactions.  All they can do is
imply interest receipts to the fund.  At such
time as the fund's cash inflows do not meet
cash expenses, the bonds must be redeemed by
the Federal government (specifically, the
'Federal funds', as opposed to the Social
Security Trust Fund).

The Fund currently runs large cash surpluses
(about $80B now, due to rise considerably for
about another ten years).  These are borrowed
by the federal funds.  In previous years the
borrowed funds financed spending.  Now they
are financing the liquidation of debt the
Federal government owes to the public.

Currently, U.S. politics is laboring under
the canard that lending the balance to the
rest of the government is some kind of
chicanery, as if any bank doesn't do exactly
the same thing with its deposits.  There is
pressure to wall off the Trust Fund surplus
from the rest of the Unified Budget,
preclude its use for spending increases or
tax cuts, and make it available to help
finance privatization of the program.
The resulting accounting deficit in the
Federal funds, or "On-budget deficit"
creates new pressure for spending cuts.

The only thing financial markets care about
is the unified deficit--what the government
borrows or lends in net terms to the private
sector.  But accounting reflects
politics, and the separate status of Social
Security and present fiscal circumstances
prompt all sorts of political machinations.

MBS