I wrote:
>> I would say that SS _is_ a form of insurance. Insurance companies
>> redistribute money from those whose houses don't burn down to those whose
>> houses do burn down (to use the example of fire insurance), sharing the
>> risk. SS redistributes from those who are suffering from retirement,
>> disability, etc. A key difference is that SS administration costs
>> are lower
>> than are private insurance costs and the tax that finances SS is
>> regressive. Further, the SS administration does not feel obligated to pay

Max replied:
>Unlike welfare, and like insurance, beneficiaries make
>earmarked payments into the program. ...

since funds are shifted about between various government budgets, the
"earmarked" part is pretty unimportant. The poor pay a lot of sales taxes
(relative to the size of their incomes) and the working poor pay the
regressive payroll taxes. These, indirectly, help pay for welfare. So _in
effect_, welfare has insurance-like aspects. There is also a lot of
temporary poverty, where people fall below the official poverty line for
only a year or so. When they're doing well, they help finance a "safety
net" which they may need.

>> SS disability programs seem to be somewhere on the spectrum between the SS
>> pension and "welfare."

>From a pure market insurance standpoint, DI is one
>of the best parts of the Soc Sec 'deal.'  The
>equivalent for Survivors insurance, particularly
>for younger workers, is pretty cheap and ubiquitous.
>Why do you liken it more to welfare?

The reason can be seen from the context of what I said. SS follows a very
simple formula in distributing old-age benefits. On the other hand, DI
involves much more bureaucratic and paternalistic criteria, where the
disabled have to justify themselves as being the "deserving disabled."

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/JDevine.html